Brian Lehrer was talkin Museum budget cuts this morning, featuring several guests, including interviews with Laura Urbanelli of the Montclaire Art Museum and Brooklyn Museum Director Arnold Lehman. You can listen to the interview on the site.
Some things we learned:
– Limited exhibition display times (alternate days, mornings only, etc)
– Staff layoffs! (But are the directors taking pay cuts?)
– Four day workweeks, reduced hours
– Everything Must Go: current trend of “De-accessioning” material (aka selling off your collection). There are supposed to be guidelines, that are not always followed: Sell art to buy art, rather than to pay off debt.
– It’s a “Perfect Storm” of museum monetary shittiness
– “voluntary separation agreements” = buy outs